Sunday, June 17, 2007

Literary Review - Jhumpa Lahiri



Over the years, I've read many books of fiction and as time passed my fondness for them certainly began to decline. I found myself less and less able to connect with the characters from strange tales and unrealistic adventures to those with hopelessly confused lives.

But recently I read a couple of books that struck me on such an emotional and intellectual level that I felt shocked for a couple of days. Even more surprising was that these books are the first two written by a new author and despite her short tenure in the literary world, this author has won the Pulitzer prize among many other acclaims. That author is the Jhumpa Lahiri and her marvelous works include the 'Interpretor of Maladies' and 'The Namesake'.



Lahiri captures the essence of the family that leaves their homeland to become international citizens, that cross the boundary between cultures. She explores the trans-generational gap that forms in such families as well as the clash of ties and values that second-generation immigrants experience. Having grown up in an international setting myself, I felt that these books offer a deep insight into the social and family dynamics of the non-resident family and I encourage you to explore these books.

Until next time, adieu.

No comments: